1. Relate to your stepchildren as if they are your biological children.
2. Hug them and kiss them a lot.
3. Invest the same time and resources on your own children as you do on your step kids.
4. Always speak positively about your stepchildren's "other" parent or just keep quiet.
5. Be involved in your stepchild's life. Help them with their homework. Ask about their friends.
6. Share your life with your stepchildren. Tell them about your childhood.
7. Listen to your stepchildren; "check in" with them from time to time.
8. Hang out with them.
9. Discipline them with care.
10. Encourage closeness between your children and stepchildren (We are all one).
11. Surprise them.
12. Be open and consistent.
13. Be watchful of your own behavior as much as your kid's.
14. Remember: they did not choose you, you chose them!